FA Youth Cup, Second Qualifying Round
played on Wednesday, 5 October 2016, k.o. 7.45pm
at Haig Avenue, Southport

Gate: 141


Altrincham showed two changes from the starting eleven for the previous round of the FA Youth Cup, with Kelly replacing Sheridan at right-back and Hoti replacing McGloin at no.10.

ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Cameron TERRY, 2. Tom KELLY, 3. Sam BOWN, 4. Deklan HILL, 5. Joshua GRAHAM, 6. Peter IACOVOU, 7. Thabari JAMBAYA (c), 8. Aaron CLAYTON, 9.Ricardo PEMBELE, 10. Enis HOTI, 11 Darius PALMA. Subs: 12 Alex FOORD, 14. Jordan HENRY, 15. Jordan MILNE, 16. Andy MATISHI, 20. Matthew LOIZOU (gk).

SOUTHPORT FC YOUTH (Yellow and black): 1. Jake EASTWOOD, 2. Ben TAYLOR, 3. Elliott STYCHE, 4. Rob CAHILL, 5. Kyle JAMESOn, 6. John MORGAN, 7. Harry CANNON-NOREN, 8. Scott McCARTHY (capt), 9. Liam PARKER, 10. Jake WHILEY, 11. Daniel SINGLETON. Subs: 12. Peter MORETTI, 13. Jack LENART, 14. Callum O'CONNOR, 15. Isaac JONES,17. Johnson McDOUGAL>


Both teams in this FA Youth Cup match play their league matches in the NW Youth Alliance, with Altrincham in the Premier Division and Southport in Division One West.

The match, watched by first-team boss Jim Harvey, took place on a dry, but windy, evening at Haig Avenue and it got off to an explosive start, with three goals in the first nine minutes. Alty kicked off and immediately won a freekick near the right touchline, about 40 yards out diagonally from the goal. Palmer took the freekick, which was curling under the bar in the centre of the goal. Keeper Eastwood, possibly misreading the gusty wind, did not hold the ball and Hoti was on hand to poke the ball smartly over the line and give Alty a lead inside 30 seconds.

But elation turned to disappointment just two minutes later when Alty keeper, Terry, collided with defender Kelly, and the ball ran free for Parker to net a speedy equalizer for the Sandgrounders (3 mins).

Following the restart, Palmer got in a shot which Eastwood saved (4 mins) before Hoti's excellent ball allowed Pembele a good shot, which Eastwood also saved. With Southport looking shaky at the back at this stage, more good work from Palmer got Pembele into the box where the sprawling Eastwood brought him down for a clear penalty. Alty captain, Jambaya, confidently dispatched the spot kick to Eastwood's left as the Port keeper went the other way (9 mins).

Alty continued to threaten as Hoti was brought down on the edge of the box. He took the freekick himself and a superb effort came off the top of the crossbar. Hoti and Palmer, in particular, were proving a handful for the hosts.

Southport began to settle. First a Cannon-Noren shot went wide then they won a corner (17 mins). But at the other end Palmer was felled, just right of the penalty area, after a fine run up the flank (18 mins). Port's Jameson was now involved in several incidents; winning a freekick off Clayton, losing the ball to Pembele, and then going down for treatment.

Southport's best effort so far arrived on the 26th minute when a well-struck shot by Whiley had to be beaten out by Terry. From a follow-up, Taylor fired narrowly over the Alty bar.

Southport were now enjoying some momentum as the game settled into a more even contest after its opening excitement.

Altrincham put together a good move, featuring a mazy dribble by Palmer, to win a 33rd minute corner. After this good skill from Hoti led to a cross but Pembele could not direct his header towards goal.

A foul on Jambaya earned Parker a lecture. Eastwood punched away Palmer's resulting freekick. Soon afterwards, Cannon-Noren shot narrowly wide for Southport (42 mins).

As half time approached Graham had to cover well for Alty but soon the visitors had won another corner. Palmer's kick was fumbled clear by the keeper before two added minutes were played to conclude the first half.

Altrincham deserved their lead but play throughout the first half had suggested that the scoring was not yet complete.


At the break Milne came on in midfield, replacing Hoti, who had played well in the first half.

With a stiff breeze still blowing, largely across the pitch but increasingly in the face of the visitors in the second half, Jambaya won an early freekick. Though nothing came of that, Altrincham soon gained a 3-1 lead. Pembele won a 50-50 ball and his flick put Jambaya in on goal. He calmly lobbed the keeper to give his side a two-goal lead (52 mins).

Five minutes later, Southport made a double swap as Morelli and O'Connor replaced Morgan and Singleton (57 mins).

For Alty Milne had quickly been making an impression after his half-time introduction, competing and using the ball well. After Pembele had got clear but without any support, the visitors did win a corner. Soon after the hour mark they threatened again from more good work by Pembele and Jambaya.

At the back Hill and Graham were seeing off the threat of Parker and his Southport colleagues.

On 70 minutes, Henry became Alty's final change as he replaced Pembele up front. Immediately he was put clear by Jambaya but a defender got back to block and a corner resulted (71 mins). Following this a Milne header went wide.

Southport now wasted a chance as Cannon-Noren miscued inside the box (74 mins) and then after vainly appealing for a penalty for handball the home side gained a corner.

Next Jones replaced Cannon-Noren for the hosts (76 mins). Another wayward Southport shot followed from Jameson who was now pushed more forward (78 mins).

Any doubt about the final result evaporated as Altrincham scored twice in a minute. Firstly, Henry chased down keeper Eastwood and his kick cannoned off the striker, leaving him free to roll the ball into the empty net (81 mins). 4-1 became 5-1 almost straightaway as Henry got in a cross from the right which Palma converted from a central position in the goalmouth (81 mins). Palma, who had had a fine game, was immediately withdrawn in favour of Foord (82 mins).

The drama was not over as Southport got to the left byline and McCarthy won a penalty. After an apparent exchange of opinions amongst the Southport players, Whiley took the kick. But he sidefooted it many feet over the bar to compound Southport’s woes (85 mins).

Altrincham saw out the remainder of the game, including three added minutes, to record a deserved and convincing win which takes them into the third and final qualifying round.